On St Patrick's Day, Friday, 17 March 1904, the Convent for the Presentation Sisters was opened by Bishop Doyle, and three days later, on Monday, 20 March, the first day of school was held. More than 50 children were present for the opening.
In 1926 an Intermediate Secondary School was added, and both the Primary and Secondary Schools were under one administration.
In 1952, as the Kindergarten room had become too small, a new building was erected, providing more space for the primary classes.
The total enrolment for 1953 (our Golden Jubilee Year) was 336.
In 1966 Mount St Patrick Regional High School was formed (replacing Mount St Patrick High School), leaving Mount St Patrick Primary as a separate school once again.
In 1975 the present building housing the Administration and Library was erected to accommodate four classrooms, a library, toilets, a staff room and an administration area. Our remaining students were housed in 4 wooden classrooms at the base of the hill and three classrooms at the top above Mount St Patrick Regional High School.
In 1984, owing to diminishing numbers of Presentation sisters engaged in the teaching apostolate, the first lay Principal was appointed to the school. However, the sisters maintained a presence in the school.
In 1991, the building above the High School was demolished to make way for a two-storey brick building for use by Mount St Patrick Regional High School. This left us with two Primary classrooms in the High School building until other rooms could be erected.
In August 1994, Sr Patricia Thomas was transferred to Lismore. This ended the Presentation Sisters direct association with the Primary School after ninety years of service. The Sisters still maintain a presence in the Parish.
In 1997 the last two wooden buildings were removed from the site and replaced with seven new classrooms, a multipurpose room, a sheltered area and additional toilets. The administration area, staffroom and classrooms were also renovated and refurbished.
In 2010 under the Federal Government initiative Building Educational Revolution (BER) program, Mount St Patrick Primary underwent a significant building program. This resulted in four new classrooms, a hard surfaced playground area, a new toilet block, a new sports room, refurbished literacy and additional needs room. In addition to this, the administration area and staffroom room were completely refurbished, as was the school library. The school library has attached to it a 'multi-purpose room' which is now used by our specialist music, art and library teachers. After school, it is utilised by our Out Of Hours School Care providers.
In 2013, two new Kindergarten rooms were built in the Infants block. These contemporary classrooms allow for flexible learning environments. Adjacent to these classrooms is access to an outside playground and garden area exclusive to Kindergarten students.
At the beginning of 2018, the School Administration entrance was redesigned. The covered entrance encapsulates our school's values, motto and rich history. Our most prominent values at the entrance are based on the Presentation Sisters. These values are:
COMPASSION: for those most in need
COMMITMENT: to strive to do our best
COURAGE: to embrace the fullness of life
CONFIDENCE: to trust in God's love
CREATIVITY: to aspire to be innovative
CONTEMPLATION: in prayer and service
COMMUNION: to love God, love neighbour
In January 2019, refurbishment of the student toilet facilities took place.
From a handful of students in 1904, Mount St Patrick Primary grew to a total population of 358 pupils as of February 2022. The site of the original school now accommodates more than 1000 students (Years K-12).
Parents' faith, generosity, and continued support have built, equipped and staffed our school throughout its history. The example and support of the clergy and Presentation Sisters, together with the dedicated staff of the school over one hundred years, has enabled the high ideals and Christian values presented to the students over these many years of our history to be as relevant today as they were in the school's foundation years.